Tactical tomahawk are popular forms of axes that are used for many purposes. These axes can be used for combat, throwing at a target, and cutting wood. Yet, when purchasing one of these axes, there are many options to choose from.
In this article, three of the best tactical tomahawks on the market are discussed in greater depth. In each section, a brief overview of the selected product is given followed by a discussion of the products benefits and drawbacks. Towards the end of the article, a buyer’s guide is offered for anyone interested in purchasing this kind of tool.
A Brief Overview of the SOG Tactical Tomahawk Axe
- SOG TACTICAL AXE WITH BITE: At 15.75 inches, these throwing hatchets and tomahawks are built to swing fast and true; these tomahawk throwing axes feature a razor-sharp 420 stainless steel hatchet blade
- 24 OUNCE TACTICAL AXES: Light yet heavy-duty, tactical throwing hatchet is a superb survival axe and fire rescue tool; throwing tomahawk boasts a sleek black blade finish for added durability
- EMERGENCY AXE WITH SOG TOMAHAWK SHEATH: This woodsmen-meets-urban tactical tomahawk snaps securely in its ballistic nylon sheath; includes belt loop for 1.5-inch belts
- HAMMER AXE EDGE AND PIERCING SPIKE: FastHawk tactical survival axe features a flat edge for hammering and a spike for piercing; an emergency kit tool first, but versatile to handle small wood chopping tasks
- SOG FOR LIFE: Take care of your SOG tomahawk throwing axe and we’ll take care of you; we gladly consider repairs and replacements for your properly maintained SOG FastHawk tomahawk hatchet
This tool has a 2.75-inch stainless steel blade that makes it ideal for breaching, chopping, camping, and backpacking. It’s 15.75 inches long and weighs 24 ounces.
Even though its light, many customers still consider this tool to be heavy-duty and rugged, as it can be relied on in most conditions.
One of the unique features of this tool is that it features a hammer edge, allowing it to pound various objects like nails and tent stakes. There is also a spike on this axe that can be used for piercing.
This tool also comes with a nylon sheath that protects the blade. There is even a belt clip on this sheath, making the tool easy to carry with you wherever you go.
The handle on this tool is made of glass-reinforced nylon and is mounted to the head using heavy-duty bolts.
Lastly, SOG offers a lifetime warranty on this product, which means they will repair or replace the product if it becomes compromised. In order to take advantage of this service, you have to properly maintain the axe.
The Benefits of the SOG Axe
Many people love this axe because it’s so affordable yet durable. Many axes that have the same power-weight ratio of this tool cost significantly more.
In this sense, if you want a good starter axe, then this product would be ideal. Even if you are an experienced axeman, you could still benefit from this tool due to its lightweight build and high-quality blade.
Many people love the hammer edge on this tool, as it makes this axe perfect for pounding tent stakes in the ground when camping. This prevents you from having to bring extra supplies, which can make your life easier. Many people bring this axe with them to fulfill all their needs when exploring in the outdoors.
Some customers have commented on the beautiful aesthetics of this tool, as its all-black design is quite compelling. If you are concerned with how your axe looks, then this product would be ideal to purchase.
The Drawbacks of the SOG Axe
The main drawback of this axe is its size. Some customers might want a larger axe with a larger blade for chopping down trees. Some reviews online have noted that this axe is not ideal for chopping down trees, though it can chop branches and firewood with ease.
Other customers have noted that the sheath that comes with this product is not ideal. While it works, you might be better off making your own or purchasing one separately if you want to maximize the protection of the blade.
A Brief Overview of the IUNIO Tactical Tomahawk Axe
- A Survival Multi-Tool! Several uses in one survival axe that can be used for splitting small logs, preparing kindling as well as extracting yourself or others from vehicles, breaking glass/windows, wilderness navigation, building shelters, starting fires and engraving, Boy Scout and wilderness survival training and more. The usefulness is limited only by your imagination! You do not need to be an expert survivalist to benefit from the multiple uses of this survival axe.
- Hatchet with Ingenious Tubular Engineering! This survival axe assembles or disassembles smoothly. Partially assembled, it can be a short axe if you are in a close and compact situation or fully assembled for regular use. This axe can be different sizes for different trips. Furthermore, the tube sections each have available space for small first aid kits, fishing gear and tackle, survival gear or anything else you can imagine. This is a good "back up" hatchet to have for "just in case" needs!
- Camping Axe with Protective Sheath/Camo Wrap! Comes with protective sheath, which protects the blade for extra safety! Easy to attach to your belt like a really cool bushcraft warrior! Camo wrap is also included not only for visual enhancement but the wrap also provides the user both a better grip and cushioning for the hands.
- Great Gift Idea: It has many features a stand alone ax doesn't have. Fantastic tool for a long term "bug out bag" or a camping, fishing, off road or hunting trip. Best gift for Campers, Hikers, Hunters, Fishermen, Survivalists, Preppers, Outdoor Enthusiasts, Backpackers, Boy Scouts, or anyone needing tactical and practical tools for your car, SUV, truck, van or RV.
- Iunio camping hatchet lasts for life: Our hatchets are built to last! You take care of our hatchet and we'll take care of you! All replacement requests are supported by our awesome customer service team anytime!!!
The head of this axe is made from steel while the handle is made of aluminum alloy.
This axe is 16 inches long and weighs just under 2 pounds.
This is considered a multi-tool because it can store many extra supplies in its handle. For example, this tool can store a sharp knife, fire starter, and an emergency whistle.
This product is unique because the handle is adjustable using the two extension bars that come with the product. This allows you to personalize the dimensions of the axe.
This product also comes with a sheath that makes it easy to transport.
The Benefits of the IUNIO Axe
The unique handle on this axe allows you to store tools that could be useful when camping. This allows you to minimize the supplies that you bring.
Instead of having to search your bag for supplies, you can simply open the handle of this axe to access the appropriate tool.
Many people use this axe not only when camping but when doing other activities. For example, gardeners and first responders are often attracted to this tool due to its portable nature and its access to many tools.
The Drawbacks of the IUNIO Axe
There are very few drawbacks associated with this tool, as the customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Yet, some people might want a larger, heavier tool for particular uses. In this sense, this tool from IUNIO would not be ideal, as it’s considered more of a smaller, lightweight axe.
Some customers have also noted that they can feel the various parts of the axe coming loose during certain forms of use. This has caused them to adjust their grip and swing to minimize this loosening. This is certainly not ideal, as this prevents you from using the tool exactly as you like.
A Brief Overview of the CIMA Tactical Tomahawk Axe
- Overall length: 11.8 in, Cutting edge: 4.3 in,1.15lb,Multi-color paint, do not fade
- Axe Blade Material: Black Oxide Coated Stainless,Surface:Black titanium vacuum plasma treatment,Thickness: 20mm
- Handle Material: Nylon glass fiber,Strong, high toughness, not easy to break
- CIMA Tactical Tomahawk this sharp and durable throwing axe will help you hone your throw to perfection
- We promise: there are any questions within a year you can contact me and I will send you a new CIMA ax.
Customers can choose from a black design or a skull design.
This is a small axe that is 11.8 inches long and weighs 1.15 pounds. It’s cutting edge is 4.3 inches long.
The blade is made from 20mm-thick steel while the handle is made from nylon glass fiber. The surface of the blade is treated with vacuum black titanium ions in order to prevent rust from forming.
Each product comes with a three-layer nylon sheath that allows you to hang the axe on your belt.
The Benefits of the CIMA Axe
One of the main benefits of this tool is its small size, as this makes it amenable for throwing at targets.
Throwing axes at targets has become extremely popular in recent years as a way of improving your balance, coordination, and strength. If you are interested in using your axe for this purpose, then this product from CIMA would be ideal.
Many customers also love the skull design option, as this gives the tool a unique aesthetic that is unmatched on the market. If you have many tools, then this design option could be an easy way to distinguish this axe.
This tool would make a great gift due to its small, lightweight nature. Heavier axes can be difficult to handle, especially for younger kids.
The Drawbacks of the CIMA Axe
Some customers have noted that the blade becomes dull after only a small amount of use, forcing you to sharpen it. This is certainly not ideal, as it requires additional effort on your end.
Some customers have also noted that this product is made in China. This could be a drawback if you are environmentally conscious, as importing products from China requires lots of transportation, which can harm the environment.
Some customers might prefer to purchase a product that is made in the US or the country they are living in.
A Brief Overview of the United CUtlery M48 Tactical Tomahawk Axe
- The ultimate tactical tool to take out with you
- 3 7/8" precision cast stainless steel blade
- 8" axe head attached to handle with three bolts
- Nylon reinforced fiberglass handle
- Includes durable nylon sheath
It has a 15-inch overall length. The blade is 8 inches long and is made of stainless steel.
The blade on the back side of the head is sharpened on both edges, making it ideal for many types of attacks. If you are interested in using an axe for hunting or self-defense, then this product would be the way to go.
This tool has a 30-percent nylon reinforced handle. This makes it quite durable and perfect for use in many different conditions.
This product comes with a nylon, snap-button sheath.
The Benefits of the United Cutlery Axe
Many customers have commented on how aesthetically pleasing this axe is. Some people have even bought this product just to hang it on their wall, which is an indication of how stunning it looks.
This is a great throwing axe due to its large blade and lightweight design.
Many people consider the handle to be indestructible. This is in contrast to some handles which become compromised after extended usage.
Many customers love the heavy head and its ability to puncture objects. The steel that this head is made from is high-quality, making this tool a great investment. It will certainly be reliable for many years.
If you want to ensure that you are constantly protected, then this would be the perfect tool to have lying around the house. You could easily debilitate your attacker with a simple blow from this axe.
The Drawbacks of the United Cutlery Axe
Some people have noted that the handle can be uncomfortable to hold. This could be frustrating if you have to use the axe for a long period of time.
Other customers have commented that the accompanying sheath is awful. This means you might have to buy a separate sheath or make your own, which could be burdensome for some customers.
Buyer's Guide for Purchasing a Tactical Tomahawk Axe
As you can see, there are many tactical tomahawks to choose from on the market.
The four mentioned above represent some of the best axes available due to their affordability, durability, and multi-functionality.
If you are interested in an axe with the highest quality head, then the product from United Cutlery would be your best bet. This axe has a massive 8-inch blade that can cut through just about anything due to its stainless-steel construction.
If you want an axe with a unique design, then the skull option from CIMA would be ideal. Many younger users will love this design, making this product great as a birthday or holiday gift.
If you want to travel as light as possible when exploring the outdoors, then the product from IUNIO would be perfect. This is because it can store an extra knife, a fire starter and a whistle in the adjustable handle. This is a very innovative design that will appeal to minimalist travelers.
Lastly, the product from SOG would be ideal if you are looking for a reliable axe to last many years. SOG is a reputable company that has been specializing in tools for many years. Their lifetime warranty shows how highly they value their customers.
Final Thoughts on Tactical Tomahawk Axes
A tactical tomahawk axe is a deadly weapon that can be used as a form of protection.
Yet, many people purchase these tools for more recreational purposes. These axes are multi-functional and allow customers to perform many tasks in the outdoors, like chopping wood and pounding tent stakes into the ground.
Many people also like to throw these axes at a target. This activity can build your core and upper body muscles in addition to improving your balance and coordination.
Having this tool with you can be empowering, which is why many people bring it with them on extended expeditions. Even if you don’t end up using the axe, having access to it can be very reassuring, allowing you to enjoy your experience free of anxiety.