For centuries, wood has been used as a source of energy. You cannot, however, light fire with a whole tree trunk. You need to split the chunks of wood into smaller pieces, which are more portable. To do this, you will need a splitting maul. A maul is more effective in splitting wood as compared to an axe. That’s because it has a wider head and is heavier. And you need the most effective tool to ensure you enjoy your fireplace for longer periods. This article reviews the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. Maul Splitting Axe. You’ll also hear the reasons why you should get yourself this tool.
Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul Splitting Axe – Quality Features
If you love spending your evenings around your fireplace, you need to have enough wood chunks to keep your fire going. The Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul is one of the most essential tools that could help you split wood into smaller pieces that can fit into your fireplace. This splitting maul has an 8-pound maul head. Materials also feature excellent quality. This is a very important aspect. It eliminates the difficulty you would encounter copping different types of woods.
Some of the most remarkable features of the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. include:
- Sturdy steel – it is forged and heat treated to enhance the maul’s longevity. This maul also includes rust-resistant coating. The coating ensures that the maul will not be stuck when you drive it deep into the wood that you are splitting.
- The blade comes with a wide edge – This ensures that the maul is able to plunge deep into the wood to cleave it without difficulty. The wide edge also ensures that the chunks are angled off to the side rather than directly at you. The blade is designed in such a way that it can even penetrate wood that is knotted.
- The Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. also features a patented Isocore Shock Control System on its handle – This feature is effective in reducing the shock wave when you’re cutting through wood. It also minimizes vibrations to help reduce muscle pain and joint stress.
- The lower handle features a thermoplastic rubber – this is specially designed to fit the shape of your hand and also avoid blistering. This feature also ensures that your hands don’t get easily fatigued.
- Interestingly, the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. comes with a full lifetime warranty.
- The maul’s head is riveted to ensure that it stays attached to the handle even when you apply intense force when splitting wood.
- It measures 3.2 by 7.8 by 36 inches, and only weighs 10.4 pounds.
Things to Consider before Buying a Splitting Maul
There are a lot of things that you are required to keep in mind before purchasing a splitting maul. These factors are important in ensuring that you get yourself the best tool for the job. You wouldn’t want to get yourself a low-quality tool that will last for a few days, or a tool that will not get the job done. Overall, here are some of the most important factors to consider.
For starters, you need to establish the type of work (splitting wood) you would like to do. If you intend to cut large pieces of wood, the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul would be most effective. Why is that so? A maul is designed to cleave wood in the most comfortable way. More so, it does a better job than an axe.
Other essential details to look at when you are choosing your splitting maul include its weight and length. For instance, the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul weighs 10.4 pounds. A maul has a heavy head, which plays a major role in cutting wood with ease. A heavy head ensures that the maul can cut through any tough wood. An ideal splitting maul should also have a large handle length. A maul with a small handle may make cleaving a lot tougher because of the swinging distance.
The design of the handle is also another important factor. Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb.’s handle has a thermoplastic rubber. This material reduces the vibration by two times compared to a wooden handle. This feature ensures that you can split wood for longer periods without getting tired.
Pros of Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul
- Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. features sturdy construction. It increases its durability.
- It comes with a full lifetime warranty.
- It features a good maul head design and weight that makes cleaving much easier.
- The Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul has a long handle to increase the splitting distance for more effective cleaving.
- You can use it to cut through knots and fibers with ease.
- It is economically priced.
Cons of Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul
• The protective collar under the head is made of plastic. This part may crack when you use the tool to split tough wood.
• It is a little heavy and requires a muscular person to cleave with it.
Is the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. Worth Buying?
Our verdict based on this review is positive. Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul is a worthwhile investment for anyone who is looking for a splitting maul. The tool comes at an affordable price considering that you can use it to cut through tough wood- those with knots and fibers. It also features a wedge-like blade geometry to make cleaving much easier. Its head’s weight also makes working with it easier.
The Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul can also split wood more effectively than an axe. Moreover, this maul has a sturdy construction and features top-notch quality. The Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul, however, is significantly heavy. This means that it requires muscular men to operate with it.
If you are looking for an effective and powerful splitting maul, you should pick the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb. This maul is not only affordable but also features excellent quality. It has a sturdy construction, and can cut through knots and fibers.
If you haven’t tried this splitting maul yet, wait no more. It’s high time you purchased it! Feel free to share your experience if you own or have used the Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul.
Image source: Amazon