Lumberjack competitions display contestant skills and equipment quality. Fortunately, a lumberjack competition axe does not require a special order from a smith. Commercially produced axes are available that include all the features found in competition equipment. These key requirements include single bit axes with wider beards.
Other elements include thinner axe head profiles and weights over three-pounds. The following 7 products offer these features to you and are easily available.
1. Snow and Nealley 3.5-Pound Single Bit Axe
- Snow & Nealley "our best" 2-1/4 lb. Single bit axe is a versatile utility axe that works well on fence posts, garden stakes, limbing a felled tree, and all sorts of other practical jobs around the home and campsite.
- Ground on stone wheels, it has a factory edge like no other axe on the market today. Tempered in fires to produce a hardness to the tool that you can't find on any other axe.
- Small enough to be practical for all jobs, yet big enough to get the job done.
- Overall length: 28 3/16"
- Overall weight: 3 lb., 3.6 oz
A hickory handle shows properly aligned wood grain on a shaft that sports a bend near the grip. Drake off road has manufactured steel tools since 1864. The carbon steel head is finished in black and brings the total weight of the axe to 5.35 pounds.
This US product is designed with a broad beard that measures 4.375-inches across the entire blade edge. A proper swing should dig nicely into the wood and give you the ability to fell trees. This product comes with a leather sheath.
2. Hults Bruk Atran Felling Axe
- This axe head is hand-forged and made from Swedish axe steel in a foundry that has been in operation since 1697.
- As part of the production process, the steel is struck multiple times thereby increasing its density and resulting in more durability of the axe.
- The head is constructed in such a way that there is a tempered zone designed to hold a very sharp edge even after many sharpenings.
- Each axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath that is embellished with some unique Swedish decorative elements. The axe comes with a detailed users manual.
The Atran design falls into the lumberjack competition axe category. Hults Bruk has provided quality tools to Sweden since the end of the 17-century. The US supplied hickory wood gives the handle a dense and durable quality with tight wood grain. The wood is treated with linseed oil to prevent shrinkage and extend longevity. An axe head weighing 3.5-pounds supplies extra power when the head makes contact with wood.
The carbon steel is hand-forged and blasted head is covered with a clear lacquer. The metal’s density is increased with multiple strikes during forging that produces a durable cutting edge.
- Amazon Link: Hults Bruk Atran Felling Axe
3. Hultafors Hand-Forged Swedish Felling Axe
Hultafors felling axe offers this lumberjack competition design. The hickory wood used for the handle is sourced from the US. It is presented in a curved design that brings the total axe length to 32.7-inches. A hand-forged steel head is designed to offer balance with each swing.
The carbon within the steel produces a tool that stands up to punishment longer than lower-grade steels would. The head weighs 3.3-pounds, supplying plenty of force at the point of impact. A thin profile and wider beard are ideal for digging into the wood and pulling away chunks.
- Amazon Link: Hultafors Hand-forged Swedish Felling Axe
4. Helko Black Forest Woodworker Axe
- HANDMADE IN GERMANY The Black Forest Woodworker is Helko Werk's flagship piece. This axe is the quintessential tool for the experienced woodsman, with a compact size that makes it a versatile packing tool and lightweight cutting, felling, and chopping axe. Features Helko's famous Rheinland pattern axe head, named for the country's Rhein River Valley, where cutting axes like these have been in use for centuries.
- C50 HIGH CARBON STEEL - 53-56 HRC - Helko Werk axe heads are open face drop forged by hand from German C50 high grade carbon steel. Drop forging is a process in which the blacksmith uses tongs to hold hot steel as a drop hammer falls repeatedly onto it.
- GRADE A AMERICAN HICKORY HANDLE - LINSEED OIL FINISH - 150 GRIT SANDED Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory handle. All Helko Werk camping axes and hatchets have handles individually hand finished and selected for grain orientation and density with a boiled linseed oil finish and sanded to 150 grit for a comfortable and smooth finish on your axe handle
- INCLUDES FULL GRAIN LEATHER SHEATH - 1 OZ. BOTTLE OF AXE GUARD PROTECTIVE OIL All Helko Werk axes and hatchets include a vegetable-tanned premium leather axe sheath to protect your axes and hatchets
- DIMENSIONS Head Weight: 2-1/4 lb / Length: 24 in. / Total Weight: 3.5 lb
The Classic Forester falls into the lumberjack competition axe category. Helko Werks has been producing axes in Germany since 1844. The handle offers a slight curve in the gripping area and is made in Switzerland with Grade A Hickory. This axe is 24-inches in length, a recommended size for a person near six-feet in height. Its hand-made German carbon steel head weighs 3.5-pounds by itself.
The metallurgy process includes open face drop forging along with heat treatment and oil hardening. This axe head is polished for a highly reflective finish. You will be able to fell full trees with this product at an average cost of $164.00.
- Amazon Link: Helko Classic Forester Axe
5. Helko Classic Expedition
The Classic Expedition matches up well as a lumberjack competition axe design. The American Grade A hickory wood is used for the handle that brings the axe length to 35-inches. The slight curve in the handle is added to give a more natural feel to e ach swing. A large carbon steel head weighing 4.5-pounds is added to give maximum energy when the tool is used.
Made in Wuppertal, Germany the 53-56 HRC steel is heat treated and oil-hardened. A bottle of Axe-Guard and a leather sheath are going to accompany your purchase.
- Amazon Link: Helko Classic Expedition Axe
6. Velvicut 4 Pound Premium American Felling Axe
- The 1.25lb Premium Velvicut Hudson Bay Belt Hatchet is crafted out of our US 5160 knife steel with superior toughness and blade retention.
- The Hudson Bay pattern provides a lightweight head with a generous bit width
- Combined with a Grade A Premium Select 14” hickory Handle
- comes with a bridle leather snap on mask
- The perfect companion for chores around the camp fire like splitting kindling and driving in wooden tent stakes
A lumberjack competition axe can be found in the Velvicut by Woodcraft. This product comes equipped with a handle made of American hickory that sports properly aligned wood grain. A 32-inch handle should help to generate plenty of energy with every swing you take. Its four-pound steel head brings the total axe weight to 5.60-pounds.
The 5160-grade steel alloy holds a sharp edge across the entire blade. This product’s handle is protected with linseed oil and comes with a leather sheath as well.
- Amazon Link: Velvicut 4 Pound Premium American Felling Axe
7. Hults Bruk Aneby, Stout Medium Sized Axe
Falling into the lumberjack competition axe category would be this American product as well. A 20-inch wooden handle is crafted from solid American hickory. The grain pattern appears tight and properly aligned down the straight handle. A hand-forged axe head showcases a Swedish tradition that is over 300-years old.
This axe head is constructed out of solid Swedish steel and boasts a wide beard with a keen edge. The wedge maintains a thin profile that should give you the ability to dig into the wood and remove chunks. Its head weight is 3.5 pounds, bringing the total up to five pounds for the axe.
- Amazon Link: Hults Bruk Aneby Axe
There are many other single bit axes that share features with competition axes, but these do match up the best. Do you currently own one of these competition style axes? If you do, we would love to hear about your experiences with them.
If you do not own one yet, make sure to click the links provided and browse around. See if you can find an axe with features that meet your current needs. You might not be able to train like a lumberjack, but you can own quality tools that have you chopping like one!